|Yes, that is my reflection in the spoon. Hi.|
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced
- 4.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 3 tbsp Gourmet Garden lemongrass
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- zest of two limes
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 thumb-size piece ginger, grated (it only cost eight cents!)
- 2 serrano chilies, minced (to taste - leave out the seeds if you like it mild)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (this stuff smells vile, but trust me)
- handful fresh cilantro
- handful fresh basil leaves
- 3 green onions, sliced
- rice noodles, cooked
1. Place the broth in a large soup pot over medium-high heat, and bring it to a boil.
2. Add the chicken, mushrooms, lemongrass, lime zest, and chiles. Boil for 5-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
3. Turn the heat down to medium. Add the ginger, coconut milk, and fish sauce. Stir it up and let it simmer for two minutes.
4. Turn the heat down to low. Add the lime juice and stir it up. It should smell good!
5. Do a taste test. Look for a balance between spicy, sour, salty, and sweet flavors. It it needs more salt, add fish sauce a bit at a time. If it's too sour, add sugar. If it's too spicy, or too thin, add more coconut milk. It it needs more spice, add chili.
6. Place cooked rice noodles at the bottom of your soup bowl, and ladle the soup over them. Sprinkle a little fresh coriander, basil, and spring onion over each bowl. You're going to come back for seconds. I promise.