3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp Marsala wine
2 c heavy cream
1 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 c milk
1/2 c chicken broth
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb penne rigate pasta
1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
salt and pepper20 pepperoni slices
1-1/2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp paprika
1. This dish is much easier to prepare if you make the sauce a day ahead. It keeps well in the refrigerator, and having the sauce ready significantly cuts down on annoyances during prep time.
2. If you don't have a really big saucepan, make the sauce in a Dutch oven. If this stuff boils over (oops!), it's a bitch to clean up!
1. Preheat oven to broil.
2. Melt 3 tbsp of butter over medium/low heat. Add garlic and sweat for about 5 minutes. Don't let it brown. Add the Marsala wine and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth. Bring to a simmer and keep it there for 10 minutes or until it thickens. Cover sauce and remove it from heat.
3. While sauce simmers, prepare pasta according to package directions.
4. Skewer the shrimp. Rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil for 2 minutes on each side.
5. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
6. While the oven preheats, slice the pepperoni into small pieces.
7. Mix the remaining Parmesan cheese and paprika together in a cup.
8. Mix cooked pasta, sauce, pepperoni, and broiled shrimp together so that all are evenly coated with sauce. Turn the mixture into a casserole dish, and top with the Parmesan/paprika mixture.
9. Bake the dishes for 10 - 12 minutes, or until the tops begin to brown.