I'm also an amateur interior design enthusiast with a passion for mixing mid-century and antique pieces. I dream of having a kitchen that looks like a mad scientist's laboratory, full of lab glassware and with stainless steel countertops. But I decorate on a shoestring budget, so I love hunting for treasures at bargain prices. I once bought a $2,600 Curtis Jere sculpture on eBay for $24--MAJOR victory!
Since I can't afford everything that catches my eye, I'm a DIY fiend, incessantly painting, reupholstering chairs, and rearranging tchotchkes, and blogging most of my projects here.
When I'm not curled up with a book or dragging the furniture around the living room, I'm probably at a show. I love music. Beirut, Otis Redding, and 70s glam rock are my favorites. You can see what I'm listening to right now here.
I like to travel, and in the last few years I've been to Prague, Hong Kong, Curacao, and Hawai'i. Greece and Italy are next on my list of places to see. I've lived in small-town Illinois, Cincinnati, the San Fernando Valley (omigawd!), and Nashville, and I like the relaxed, friendly atmosphere in the south the best.
darling mad scientist brilliant husband, is very patient when I need help moving furniture. My friends are always there to make me laugh, play Settlers of Catan, and attend nerdy stargazing parties. Erin and Kelly, my beautiful sisters, live in Hong Kong and Cincinnati, so I don't get to see them as often as I'd like. And eight years ago I found a Turkish Van cat by a dumpster, named her Stella, and took her home. She's been sleeping on my head ever since.
- I detest silly facial hair. Most of all, I hate neck-beard. Gentlemen, don't turn your faces into big jokes.
- I'm a compulsive list-maker. Sometimes I write down a task I've already finished, just for the pleasure of crossing it off.
- I'm afraid of still, dark water. ANYTHING could be under the surface! *shudder*
I want very, very, very badly to ride in a hot air balloon.I DID IT!!
- Some people cry at weddings; I cry at graduations. I love academia and its associated rituals.
This is what my friends say about me:
- "You're blowing my mind! You're full of lore."
- "I have never known a person that is better at finding random little treasures."
- "You cross my mind, barefoot, lots."
- "My favorite thing about you may be your awesome sense of interior design, but I'm sure your profound sense of the mystery of life impresses me more."
- "A braver woman I have seldom met. Godspeed, sweet bibliophile."
Contact me at stuffjendid at gmail dot com.